Sunday, March 29, 2009

HopenChangenStuff... but not the PresBo kind

http://www.macon.com/203/story/664283.html

So... in Georgia we have this great program called HOPE. It's lottery-funded, and it allows students who are residents of Georgia and attend college (or tech school) in Georgia to receive free college tuition, provided they have a GPA upon graduation from high school of 3.0 (a B average) and that they maintain that GPA throughout college.


Sounds like a great idea, right? What better way to improve our great state than by helping kids go to college, right?

Well, kinda.

Turns out lots of high schools and colleges in this great state are giving out watered-down grades in order to help kids go to school, and stay in college (read: colleges want to keep failures in school as long as they can so they can continue to receive HOPE money).

My question is... where were these watered down grades when I was in college? I worked my ass off in high school in all Honors-level classes and EARNED my tuition assistance. I then slacked (a bit) in college and promptly lost that money, which eventually led to my dropping out because I couldn't afford college. (I'm going back in January, so if you're reading this, Mom, don't call me and climb on my ass about going back to school again...)

So, what we have here is yet another example of how mediocrity, not superiority, is rewarded by our culture. Get bad grades? Oh, well, we wouldn't want you to feel bad about yourself because you couldn't get that Leisure Studies degree. Stay in school.

No comments: