Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Early Voting

So, folks in Georgia, early voting has started (in most places). Hopefully you've considered for whom you will cast a vote. My votes today were as follows:

Governor: This one's a no-brainer. I could vote for King Roy, one of the most power-hungry maniacs ever to serve as an elected official in Georgia (and one who royally fucked teachers). I could vote for Nathan Deal, one of the most corrupt politicians in Congress (and that's saying a LOT!) Or, I could vote my conscience and choose John Monds. Mr. Monds believes in personal freedom, individual liberty, sound fiscal policy, and would be the first effective leader in a long time. He's also the first African-American ever nominated to run for Governor. Vote -- Monds. Vote in runoff -- None of the above, or Monds if he happens to make it. As a Georgia political writer whom I respect greatly put it, "A vote for Deal in 2010 is a vote for Cagle in 2011."

Lt. Governor: Didn't do my homework on this one, but I can't in good conscience cast another vote for Casey "Gun owners should be happy with the little bit of freedom we gave them" Cagle. I voted Libertarian.

Senator: Johnny Isakson is a political weathervane. Whichever way popular opinion blows, that's where he's pointing. Don't forget his votes for key Obama policies. Vote: Chuck Donovan (L). Vote in runoff: Write-in. I can't reelect Johnny.

GA Congressional District 8: In 2008, I cast a vote for Jim Marshall (in a very close election) the day before he voted for TARP. Fool me once, shame on you. Austin Scott all the way. Side note: There wasn't a Libertarian nominee here. I'm guessing because they didn't think they needed one, with Austin Scott running.

All the other races I care very little about: Libertarian all the way. Especially Kira Willis for Superintendent of Schools.

Local races: I didn't vote for either of the candidates for State Court Judge who have littered my streets and highways. I did vote for the one with very few signs. Sometimes signs can backfire -- looking at you here, Jason Ashford and supporters...

Cecil "Censor" Staton is running unopposed. I wrote in Mickey Mouse. He'd do a better job, and wouldn't fire radio personalities for speaking their minds.

Larry O'Neal is also running unopposed. I don't like it when they're able to do this. I wrote in my girlfriend's dad.

On the Amendments to the state Constitution: "NO" to all of them. New debt instruments are bad. New taxes (that's what that $10 license plate "fee" is) are bad. Allowing the state to obligate YOUR MONEY without first appropriating it is bad. Do the math.

On the referendum: YES. Taxes on business are bad. Tax cuts for business are good. You make a business pay less in taxes, they can spend the money they didn't have to pay in taxes to hire another employee, buy more inventory (which they won't be taxed on now!), or enlarge their space. This is how you create jobs. This is smart fiscal policy.

No comments: